Tuesday, February 7, 2012

February 6 - Dinner

Random Lady: “Would you like to try our hot Asian buns?”

Me: “Sure… I’ll have one of each.”

Hot Asian buns, also known as Wow Bao, was what I had for dinner on February 6th, along with a slice of cheese pizza from Lou Malnati’s, and antipasti from The Purple Pig. The antipasti was delicious, my favorite were the salt roasted beets with whipped goat cheese. Okay, okay, if you put goat cheese on anything these days I will think it is God’s gift from heaven, but still, very delish.

I can’t believe that I actually like beets now, I remember my parents eating them from the salad bar when we would go get fried chicken in Oldenburg and I thought they were the most disgusting looking things ever. But in the last year or two I’ve learned to love them, they are one of Dan’s favorites too. My dad always told me that one day my tastes would change, and I hate to admit it but I am seriously starting to like tomatoes. Now, I would still never put a slice of tomato on a sandwich, but this weekend I made tomato and mozzarella flatbreads and I just kept thinking, Dad would die if he saw me eating this huge slice of tomato on a pizza! So I guess it does happen, your taste buds change with age.

So back to dinner last night, it was very balanced meal if you ask me… not, but when you go to networking events for work this is usually what you end up having. And since I was at a work event I didn’t really think it was right to take a picture of my dinner so unfortunately February 6th is a little bit of a failure for me, so instead, I’ll leave you with a picture that I love of my momma.



My mom's ability to make a dinner is pretty spectacular. You could look in her refrigerator and there would be absolutely nothing in there, but she would whip up the most fabulous meal. I'm not sure where everything came from, but it always amazed me with the things she could come up with out of nowhere. The secret recipe in every one of mom's dishes was an onion. The lady has this pairing knife that she has had for my entire life and she can chop the onion perfectly while holding it in her hand. It's amazing, I've tried to do it several times... every time resulted in cut fingers. With that being said, mom's hands always smell just a little bit like onion. I know that it is strange but to me it's one of the most comforting things, and when my hands smell like onion I automatically get homesick. Yes, I know, it's the silliest thing, but one of my favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment