Tuesday, February 14, 2012

February 14 - Heart


**Disclaimer: I've tried to write this post at least four times today and I've erased it every time. I just couldn't get my point across the way I wanted to, so here it is, just pouring out of me so I apologize if it is all over the place...**

**Disclaimer 2: I'm a planner, that's not news to anyone reading this blog. So when I started this adventure on February 2nd I read through the list and jotted down a few ideas for each photo assignment. I figured if I came up with a few really good ideas I could keep you, the readers, engaged and interested with a blog a day (well, I apologize, sometimes I give them to you two at a time). So as I was going through the list I read "heart" and my mind automatically went to the organ, not that it was paired with February 14th which was Valentine's Day. So I'm going to go with my original plan for the day...**

It's been a hard year, at the end of March I didn't think the year would get much harder, until July came around. In the span of four months I lost two very special people in my life. One, a friend that I had had since I was 5 years old. Two, a brother that I had gained 8 days days prior. This shouldn't happen to the average person, but it did.

In life these two individuals were so full of life you couldn't take it away from them. One, had a contagious smile and a story to share with every body. Two, had this grin on his face like you knew he was up to something... and maybe he would let you in on the secret. They were the epitome of life, adventure, giving, and beauty. The gave so much to their family and friends and they made every one's days better. They were taken away from us way too soon.

So when I realized that they both gave the greatest give of all at the end of their life, I wasn't surprised. It really was par for the course for both of them. One, gave five organs. Two, seven. (And we all know that when they met in heaven it was a topic of discussion, who gave more organs, they were both also full of competiton.)

And to me, the heart is such an amazing organ. It's what gives us all life. It's the beating force behind our being, literally, but also figuratively. Yes, it is the organ that literally pumps blood and life through the body, but it can also break in an instance, and... it can also be so full of love that you feel like you may explode.

But the beauty of the heart, which we all think is such a personal part of us, is that is can fit in someone else, kind of by a miracle. Now it can't fit in anybody, it has to be a match. I know this because the hospital tried to match Byron's heart with someone from Pittsburgh. Right away I didn't feel very good about the placement, I mean, can a Bengals fan's heart really work in a Steeler's fan's body? Believe it or not, it can't, and Byron's heart was then placed in someone from Ohio.

But someone's heart can fit in someone else and it can give them life, and it can give them more time with their family and friends. It can give them to opportunity to become a successful business man or a doctor. It can give them the heart to love someone and create a family. Your organs can do all of that... for someone else.

If you are not already, I hope you consider being an organ donor. It really is the greatest gift, and haven't you all been trying to come up with a nice gift for someone on Valentine's Day?

www.donatelife.net



2 comments:

  1. What a very beautifully written heart-felt blog post, my favorite so far. -cj

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this - beautiful and yes heart felt and one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete