Wednesday, February 29, 2012

February 28 – Money

I never have cash. I’ll be lucky if I can scrounge up four quarters, a nickel, and four pennies to buy a large diet coke at the McDonald’s drive-thru. (Please don’t judge me; I’m the person that usually has to put $1.09 on her debit card). I use my card for absolutely everything, it’s so convenient and I don’t have to worry about losing my money, which would probably happen if I were to carry around bills. So for today’s post I thought I would post a picture of the money that I have been carrying around since the beginning of July.



The Euro. I think foreign money is beautiful. It feels better, it looks better, and I like figuring up in my head how much things are in American dollars when I’m paying with my foreign currency. I think I like it so much because it’s different and some of it even has pictures of ladies on it, which we are definitely not used to! Side Note about Foreign Currency: Pesos are pretty spectacular because you can have hundreds of Pesos in your pocket, but it’s really not that much money. You can say things at the pool bar like, “I’m going to give you a 100 Pesos tip for that shot of tequila!” and you’re really not putting yourself out of that much dinero. But back to my Euros. I’ve been carrying these around because Dan and I left Ireland unexpectedly and didn’t even bother to exchange our money. I’m not sure why I’ve been keeping it in my wallet, it’s not like I can use it out and about.

I’ve probably been keeping it for the same reason that I’ve kept receipts in my wallet of my favorite meals while we were in Ireland, or the ticket to the Guinness tour, or the map of the walking trails in Glendalough, or the ticket stub to the Broadway show in London. I loved that trip and I want to keep those memories with me. I go through my wallet and find the receipt from the Wicklow Heather of beef stew, fish and chips and six Smithwick’s and my mouth waters. I loved every day of our honeymoon and I would love to go back… and use my Euro. But instead of holding on to this I’ve decided to pass it along to one of the girls I work with, she’s leaving for Europe in a couple weeks and I told her I had some euros for her. The only stipulation… it must be used to buy her first drink off of the plane! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment