Friday, October 1, 2010

90 Days in the Real World

The begining of this month marks my 90th day of work. On my first day I marked in my calendar when the day would be... and it happened today. It seemed like it wasn't that long ago, and marking it in my calendar made me feel like it was never going to get here...

"Hello," my pop-up message said today, "You've made it to day 9-0."

I had a small feeling of accomplishment as I started my day... and a small urge to make a doctor's appointment because my benefits have started. (Strange, I know, because I absolutely hate doctors.)

So thinking back on my first four months in the real world, these are the things I've come to realize.

1. I made the right career choice. During my four years of school there were times I had doubts about going into the hospitality industry, but I honestly cannot see myself doing anything else. I love being in a restaurant everyday and seeing the day to day operations. I love being part of a team that works together towards one goal... it doesn't hurt that the girls on my team are wonderful, experienced people who make me laugh so hard and are willing to help and answer any of my questions. I love seeing the events unfold from start to end, and even though I know it can be stressful for everybody at some point during the process, it somehow always comes together.

2. The television show 'The Office' is the most perfect depiction of any office in America... I'm sure of it. I appreciate the show 100% more and laugh out loud anytime I catch an episode. I still haven't figured out who my character would be... nobody in that office, I hope.

3. Elevators are way less scary for me now then they were 90 days ago. Sometimes when I come home Dan will ask me, "What did you do at work today, ride the elevator up and down?" And truthfully sometimes that's what I felt like I did all day. Our office is on the 15th floor, and of course the restaurant is on the 95th. I think I average about 480 floors a day and havig to pop my ears at least 6 times. It's gotten a lot easier for me... I don't even have to be chewing gum anymore for them to pop! Impressive, I know.

4. Ironing clothes and buying things with "dry clean only" tags is very overrated. I used to spent quite a lot of time pressing my clothes, even jeans, before I would go to work. I've pretty much given up on this practice and only iron if it's visibly a wreck... It just wrinkles again while I'm sitting. And last weekend I found myself wanting to buy this sweater, I had it half way to the register and everything, and then I noticed the dreaded "dry clean only" tag. I have become my mom and instantly put it back. Oh, and tennis shoes have become my favorite accessory, wearing them with suits and dresses until about 9:30 am when the majority of the staff get into the office. Who would of thought that of me?

5. The Real World really isn't as bad as a lot of people have made it out to be. Sure, getting into the routine of paying bills, being on time every day, and being responsible was a little hard to get used to, but, I've embraced it. I'm a real human being now, paying taxes, a mortgage, and the dreaded student loans... but I love what I'm doing. I enjoy my work. I wake up every day excited about what lies ahead of me, and look forward to new oportunities.

Check out this link to Facebook. This album is one of the little projects I worked on this week and it shows a lot of great pictures of some of the events that have taken place at the 95th!

No comments:

Post a Comment