Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The SouthShore Line

While I was home this weekend for Kevin's wedding (Very fun evening, whenever my camera gets return to me I will post some pictures and tell you all about it), many of my relatives asked me how I was handling my commute. I've only been doing it for 3 months but I still find it very amusing. The following are my top five favorites stories from my commute... in no particular order.

1. During my second week of work the Blackhawks won the Stanely Cup. GO HAAAAWKS! Well I failed to realize that the victory parade would ruin my commute. First of all it made me late in the morning, no big deal, everybody in the city was late to work, but what I wasn't expecting was the crowd of people that would be on the train home. These people were at the bars all day. They were hammered beyond belief and the SouthShore let them all on the 5:59 train... MINE! After about 20 minutes of people running up and down the aisles, shouting at each other, and throwing things the conductor had had enough. We stopped... in the middle of a field... no station in sight... and they kicked these people off. I found this amusing, everybody clapped as the were kicked off, I just couldn't believe they did it.

2. About two weeks later I was quietly enjoying my book when I get tapped on the shoulder and asked if I would like a drink. I was very perplexed, I didn't see any drink. I said "No Thank You," and then watched this man make a rum and coke out of his backpack. I was really impressed by his ability to carry a bar around like that. I've been looking for that man since that day to take him up on his drink offer... haven't found him.

3. There are the crazies on the train, but there are also very very nice people. There was the nice man that woke me up out of my dead sleep because he knew it was my stop. I COULD HAVE ENDED UP IN SOUTH BEND IF IT WASN'T FOR THIS MAN! Thank goodness for him. And then yesterday there was the man that picked up my train ticket the fell from my bag and ran after me in the station to return in. See, there are good people in the city... They just all come from the suburbs, just kidding.

4. Coming home the other night I was trying to read my book but these ladies next to me just kept giggling. I look over and they are drinking wine out of plastic cups and eating Cheez-Its. Now those are my kind of ladies! I'm trying to think of way to become their friend and get in on this happy hour they have... It's a work in progress

5. My favorite thing about the train is definitely not sitting in traffic. Public transportation is truly wonderful and I would be a complete disaster if I drove every day. When I wake up in the morning I always just think, "Just get yourself ready for work... and then you'll get to take a 40 minutes nap." Naps are my Favorite!

So for now I will keep riding the train, meeting funny people, having conversatioins with drunks that have come from the Cubs games and get my naps in before work!

No comments:

Post a Comment