Friday, August 6, 2010

The Horstman Family Secret Ingredient

Cream Cheese...

I have cousins that have married into the Horstman family that are so impressed (well, I don't know if impressed is the right word...) by the way we all use cream cheese in almost everything. We have officially declared Thanksgiving - Chirstmas "Cream Cheese Season..." and it's my absolute favorite. I laugh out loud around the holidays when this is the main staple in mom's refrigerator becuse she has cheeseballs, cheesy potatoes, and desserts to make. A recipe cannot go bad if the main ingredient is cream cheese.

Since Dan has started two-a-days I have been making dinner all week. (A standing house rule for us is that the first one home makes dinner.) This past week was my first actual dinner duty. I usually love to cook, but what I love even more is to be cooked for, and I'm not exaggerating when I say this... Dan is the chef in the house, he affectionately calls me his Sous Chef.

Anyway, so this week I've been cooking. All my meals were successes and when I came across this recipe today I knew I had to make it.

Stuffed Peppers
3 tablespoons cooking oil
1 cup chopped celery
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1/2 pound breakfast sausage (I used hot and spicy)
2 garlic cloves, finely diced
8 ounces cream cheese (the secret ingredient)
1/3 cup freshley chopped parsley leaves
1 tablespoon hot sauce (I used about 3 tablespoons)
1/4 cup bread crumbs
Poblano Peppers

In a saute pan over medium heat add the oil. Once heated add the celery, bell peppers and onioin. Sautee. Add sausage and garlic. Brown. Add cream cheese and stir until melted. Take off heat and parsley, hot sauce, and bread crumbs. Let cool (this is where I started taking lots of bites and burnt my tounge a little)
Meanwhile place peppers in boiling water... ummm until you think they are ready and preheat over to 400 degrees
Stuff peppers with veggie and cheese mixture and bake for 15 minutes or grill until char develops (which I think I will try next time)

We absolutely loved these little guys. Hope you enjoy! 3 months and 20 days until the start of Cream Cheese Season!


No comments:

Post a Comment