Sunday, December 12, 2010

"Color Me Happy, There's a Sofa in Here for Two!"




Channeling my inner "Pretty Woman" this is exactly what I said as I walked into the elevator at The Palmer House this weekend. I've never seen such a beautiful hotel and I was happy to spend the weekend there. I don't know how Dan finagled two nights at this historic place, but it was a great birthday weekend in the city and I learned many history lessons while we were there.



Including... The same man that restored the Sistine Chapel restored the beautiful ceilings in the hotel lobby, Potter Palmer (I love his name) gave the hotel to his new wife, Bertha, as a wedding gift (I told Dan I wouldn't mind a hotel of my own in July), and Bertha is the one that invented The Brownie at the hotel (we enjoyed one of her original brownies at "Potter's Pub" last night, it was fantastic). I also learned that in the 1950's there were 17 telephone operators that worked full time for the hotel, they averaged 2,700 phone calls an hour (that's 178 calls an hour, per person, are you kidding me, I get flustered after about 5 calls in an hour!). I saw Bertha's 24-karat gold rimmed china that was proudly displayed in the lobby. The china is insured for $7,000 a place setting! And I thought the place settings we registered for this weekend were nice!

The hotel was beautiful, the weekend was fantastic, and despite the weather we had such a good time being in the city! And to get you all in the Christmas spirit I will share with you the three most beautiful trees I saw this weekend!



The Palmer House


Daley Plaza



The Hartman House

1 comment:

  1. Your tree is really pretty! I like the peacock feathers!!!

    ReplyDelete