Sunday, July 25, 2010

Turning Home

"I don't know no town like the old town
Even when the miles are many, I feel like I"m still around.
Deep inside me like rings through an oak tree
Yeah, there's something about a Sunday when I'm gone."

I just made the big drive back to Chicago from St. Leon. Driving back I heard this song and absolutely loved it. It summed up everything that I felt this weekend.

It was such a good time to go home because of the festivals that were going on this weekend and I got to see everybody in my family and all my friends from high school together in one place. . . I realize that there are few towns like this around where you can experience this. How lucky are we! I drove past my old high school and all the corn fields and instantly knew, I was HOME. My first stop was Mom and Dad's house. I kissed Dillon, heard him say "TRACY" for the first time and gave big big hugs to Mom and Dad. In five minutes Jill and I changed clothes and went out on the town. Well really, just to the Bright Festival. We walked in and everybody was there. I don't think I've ever given so many hugs and I had two beers in my hand... spilled every where!

"And I don't know no friends like the old friends
I never seem to laugh now like I did with them
But deep inside me, a piece of my history
Yeah, I hear their voices even when they're gone."

The girls were the first people I saw and I was so so excited. Kaitlin, Holly, and Jes were all in their finest forms. Kaitlin's family just sold there house and are moving. . . It's so hard to realize that when we all come home now for Thanksgiving and Christmas, Kaitlin won't be there, she will be at her new home... not Blue Goose Road. I'm thrilled that I got to see her and Adam before she moved out of the unicorn bedroom forever. I'm going to miss that house and all the fun times we've had there, especially George Washington's Birthday Party we threw there during Senior Year. We made any kind of excuse to have a party! Friday night was Jesika's last night in town. She's moving to Tennessee! We honestly didn't think we would see each other before she left, so seeing her standing in the middle of the field, with that cry face on was amazing. We had a lot of fun dancing on a picnic table (the same one we danced on four years ago) singing songs, and laughing at each other. There are no friends like the old friends.

The familiar people, the stars and crickets (something I miss more than I would ever know) the ability to buy 12 beers for $20, ponds to go swimming in, and my family and friend's love is what keeps my Turning Home.

No comments:

Post a Comment