Wednesday, July 28, 2010

America's Greatest Game


Baseball... I love the game. I've grown up with grandparents and parents that wouldn't miss a game. They knew every player for their team, and what their batting average was. When we would visit Grandma Horstman in the summer time she would be sitting next to the radio listening to the Reds game. Dad could be driving anywhere in the United States and be trying to listen to WLW so that he could get the score of his Redlegs. I would be listening and could only hear scratchy scratch sounds but he would be clapping because his team just scored a run. . .


Dan's the same exact way, that's what I love about him. It kills him that we can't watch the Reds. We spend more time watching the bottom line on ESPN than we do anything else, just because we want to see a Reds score. So when Dan called me today and said "Don't take the train home, I'm going to be driving through your area," I had few ideas about what he would be doing. The Reds are in Milwaukee this week so of course he took the road trip to see them play. I was so jealous he got to spend the day at the park. He packed a cooler full of beers and ate hotdogs while enjoying the game underneath the shade, my kind of day!


When we got home tonight we really starting talking about baseball and how Joey Votto is the statistical leader in many of the categories, Home Runs and Batting Average to be exact. I asked Dan, "Can you tell me when the last time someone was batting .350 and they were wearing grey uniforms, the sun was shining, and there were 35,000 people in the stands." He laughed at me, but this is what I find so hilarious about baseball. Anybody can be a stat leader in anything because they make up the most hysterical statistics. I mean honestly, I could hold the record for the biggest fan who has brown hair, whose favorite color is red, lived in the tri-state area and then moved away on a hot day in June. PUT IT ON THE BOARD.... YES! ( Sorry, that's a little Chicago flare coming out in me now)


Baseball is my favorite game, today is my favorite day... AND THIS ONE BELONGS TO THE REDS!


1 comment:

  1. Tracy: Just found your blog and LOVE it! I started blogging over 2 years and have become a little obsessed... but in a good way. It definitely helps you appreciate all the amazing things in life and helps you experience them over and over again. I'm excited to follow along with all of your adventures :) -Jessica

    ReplyDelete