Tuesday, July 20, 2010

LeBron and Benedict

Today is my favorite day... for several reasons

1. It was date night
2. Dan met me downtown for dinner so I didn't have to ride the train home
3. I had the best meatloaf ever... and that's saying a lot because Theresa's is fantastic!
4. Our Save the Dates came in the mail!!
5. I learned a history lesson.

Although I didn't get my daily reading in and I only walked one mile instead of two, it was a fantastic day. And our save the dates came! This is the first thing we've picked out and received for our wedding, so it's really exciting!

I have to say Dan's two biggest interests are history and sports, so when he gets to talk about them together he's in heaven. Our conversation on the way home from the city was exactly that, history and sports... not sports history, history and sports.

The talk around town for the last two weeks, well who are we kidding, the talk around the country has been LeBron James. A few times Dan has referenced Benedict Arnold when talking about LeBron and I just couldn't make the connection. (Today's exact conversation was how the Cavalier's owner has lowered the price of LeBron Fatheads from $60 to $17.14, the year Benedict Arnold was born!) He couldn't believe I didn't know who Benedict Arnold was and he would never tell me the significance, so he gave me an assignment. I had to write a 150 word essay about Benedict Arnold... due Wednesday! Here it is...

Benedict Arnold, born 1714 (that part I knew already) is the world's most famous traitor! He began the American Revolutionary War with Continental Army and later went to the British Army. Benedict Arnold distinguished himself during the war through his acts of bravery, but was overlooked by the Continental Congress for a promotion. Other people were taking credit for what he did. Long story short, Benedict Arnold was pissed and switched sides. Now he didn't just switch sides quietly. While he was still in Command on the American side he took control of West Point and plotted the surrender to the British. I compare this to LeBron James setting up a press conference at the Boy and Girls Club.


LeBron James is taking his talents to South Beach, Benedict Arnold took his to Great Britan!


No comments:

Post a Comment