Sunday, September 19, 2010

The Biggest Mess in the History of the Hartman Kitchen

What a fantastic weekend. Beautiful weather, no real commitments, and fantastic meals!

Friday night the bulldogs got another 'W' going 4-1 for the season. We spent the rest of the evening with the coaching staff and their wives replaying the entire game and drinking Octoberfest, snuggled in our sweatshirts. Saturday morning was more productive than most days, making trips to the bank, dry cleaner, and post office. Apparently the only post cards stamps the USPS makes have Polar Bear on them, so I apologize in advance for sending Save The Date cards out for a summer wedding with polar bear stamps on them... but what are you going to do?

Saturday night Dan and I enjoyed a great date night, going to Lost Marsh's clubhouse for dinner. We drank fantastic wine and had great steaks, I left absolutely full and with a little buzz. Successful evening for me! We told each other stories about high school and laughed and laughed. That's what I enjoy the most about our relationship, we can really find humor in almost anything.

So here's the most humours part of the weekend... and the biggest mess in the history of the Hartman kitchen.

While Dan was at his football meeting tonight, (big game week which equals long meetings) I decided to be very productive and make all of our meals for the week! Now this wasn't a simple process. (I decided that my dream kitchen will include 6 burners instead of the normal 4.) But anyway, I was just cooking along, cooking along when disaster happened. One of my dishes included Skyline! This meal is always quite the process because you want to let it simmer for several hours, and Dan likes it best when the meat is really finely ground... to achieve this I use a blender. So after the meat sauce has been cooking for about an hour, I very carefully transfer the meat from the pot to the blender. I was so proud of myself for not even getting a drop on the counter. I put the lid on really tight, and then turned in on low. Something really bad happened inside that blender and it decided to blast out of the top... just like it happens on funny movies or bounty paper towel commercials. This stuff was everywhere. In my hair, on the cabinets, almost on the ceiling, in the fajitas I was making for the evening, in my cocktail I was drinking, everywhere! Oh how I wish someone had caught it on video. Meanwhile Dan calls me and asks me how everything is going... I couldn't even respond, all i said was, "I've just made the biggest mess in the history of the Hartman kitchen.

I'm sure there will be many many more to come, this was just the first kitchen disaster... now I'm off the shower the Skyline out of my hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment