Thursday, April 5, 2012

April 4 - Someone Who Makes You Happy

My husband makes me happy. It’s still kind of foreign to me saying, “my husband” but I like it. April 4th was one of those nights for us. Neither of us had any prior commitments, which has been rare lately, and we just hung out. I even got him to help me unload the dishwasher and pick up things around the house with me so we can bolt out the door to head home as soon as possible after work on Thursday.

Dan doesn’t need to do much to make me happy, just the way that we are together makes me relaxed and content. We can talk, or we don’t have to. We can tell each other stories and talk about our days. He is always interested in what I did at work and I like asking about his kids at school.

It’s easy for us, and I guess that’s what makes our marriage work. We laugh, a lot, about the silliest things and when we talk about things that we did when growing up it’s always funny to get each other’s perspectives because we are surprised how very similar our childhoods were. This week we discovered that we both hated when our mom’s made salmon patties during Lent, neither of us ate black beans when we were little, every Saturday morning involved Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and we both share the same favorite Saved By The Bell episode (the one where Jessie is taking caffeine pills and she’s jumping around her bedroom singing, “I’m so excited, I’m so excited, I’m so, I’m so Scared.”) Who knows what kind of ridiculous things we’ll know about each other in a few more years. And he teaches me things. I guess I never, ever paid attention in history class because I don’t know much of anything when it comes to life before 1987, and Dan is a sponge. He is so full of facts and years; he can tell you the order of Kings and Queens of England and the starting lineup every year for the Reds dating to way before my time. Sometimes it amazes me with the things he knows… but sometimes I think, “Is he just making this stuff up?” I sure hope not since he’s teaching kids these things every day, but still how does someone remember all of that?

He makes me happy, and that’s a good thing, because I’m stuck with him for the rest of my life…but I don’t think I could ask for anyone better.



And I love this picture of us from almost five years ago. I don't think either of us knew at this point that we would fall in love, and get married, but it sure looks like we did. And this picture makes me so happy, I think it just oozes love.

No comments:

Post a Comment