Sunday, January 8, 2012

The Nest

I read this wonderful quote this week about a family's kitchen table. I couldn't find my stack of post-it notes to write it down, and I've somehow forget the place where I saw it, but it made me think of my parent's house and how I love the comfort of the place and the kitchen table. I think most familys think of their kitchen table as the anchor to their home, it's where the great meals take place and the stories are shared. Growing up the kitchen table is where we made playdough creations, did our homework, carved pumpkins, colored locker signs, and ate every single meal. Now when we go home now it's where we still eat wonderful meals, tell stories, prepare meals, read the local newspaper, laugh, and drink too many cups of coffee to count. It's the center of the home and where I like to hang out the most when I'm there.

And when I think about my parents house I get a little sad because Dan and I's kitchen table is a different story. I love our table but we never, ever eat there. We like to eat in the living room around the coffee table. The kitchen table houses Dan's pile of treasures (junk) that he never seems to go through, but the things in it can never be thrown away. It's the landing spot for my car keys when I get home and the chairs are excellent for holding our winter coats when we don't want to put them in the closet.

Instead of having the kitchen table, Dan and I have our nest. I know I've mentioned the most wonderful couch in America before, but it truly is one of my favorite things in our house. It's where we are most comfortable. It's where we talk about our days and our future. It's where we can just be, in our own little spots. There is plenty of room for us to spread out and comfortable enough for us to snuggle up. It's the most glorious piece of furniture I've ever owned. It's our place of refuge... where we feel at home.

So I guess we don't need the kitchen table as our space, the nest is ours and I wouldn't trade it for any kitchen table in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment