Wednesday, November 23, 2011

The Hand Turkey

Before I get to the main reason for this post I want to share with you two of my favorite hand turkeys I've come across this month. The first is the gift from Kaitlin, this girl knows me way too well...




And the second is the icon that has been on google the past two days. I think everyone thought that I was crazy for loving hand turkeys so much, I know Dan does, but this is proof that they are a huge deal! They are on google for goodness sake!



So back to the reason for this post... if you have read the blog in the past, or been on Facebook this month, you know that one of my favorite things is the hand turkey. I've made one every year and it has come down to the wire but I have finally made mine for 2011. I was waiting so long because I was honestly having a hard time narrowing down the four top things that I was most thankful for to put on the feathers.

During my long drive home, I had made my top four list. I walked into Paul and Theresa's house and decided before everyone got home from work I would work on the turkey. Well, apparently since cheerleaders don't live at The Horstman House any longer there is no construction paper, that's fine I can use crayons to decorate him. Well, there is no computer paper, no lined paper... nothing, just that thin little paper that Theresa makes her grocery list on, my turkey would never fit on that! Unless Theresa is hiding the paper somewhere (which is perfectly reasonable explanation) or I'm just a really bad looker (which is an even more reasonable explanation) there is no usable paper in this house.

So I was in a real crunch for time now and wasn't sure what to do, I could make it on newspaper, but I'm more thankful for online newspapers since that is what I prefer to read, so I thought that wouldn't be really good for my turkey. And then it came to me... and below is my hand turkey.



Now you may be wondering where the things that I am thankful for are since they aren't written on the feathers. Well, they are all wrapped up in that picutre. Looking back at this year I am so thankful for that day. Everything that I was going to write on my feathers was there that day. I'm thankful for feeling joy, thankful for my marriage, thankful for all of my family, and for my wonderful friends. Food, wine, laughter, dancing, Rod Stewart songs, beautiful weather... those things were all there that day too. It was the day where everything was right in the world, and nobody can ever take those memories away from us. They are ours, and that is what makes my 2011 Hand Turkey so special. Probably one of my favorites to date! Happy Thanksgiving Everyone, or what I like to say "BE THANKSGIVING!"

No comments:

Post a Comment