Tuesday, January 4, 2011

I'm Sick...

my nose won't stop running, my eyes won't stop running. My cough gets worse as the day goes on, and all I want to do is lay in my bed. I'm on a cough drop and hot tea diet and I'm sure I've grossed out quite a few people on the telephone today with my awful voice. Dan is being a doll, picking up things for me at the drug store, making things for dinner that aren't hard to eat, and understanding that as soon as I get home I want to go to bed... But he's no Grandma Hornbach.

Today as I was riding the train home, I felt so awful all I wanted to do was end up on Grandma Hornbach's porch, still in my pajamas with my blankie in tow and have her take care of me for the day. Being sick when I was little were honestly some of my favorite days, because I got to spend them at Grandma's house. She would let me in, shoo my mom off to work, and a magical day would take place. She'd wrap me up in blankets and wrap a scarf around my neck. She'd bring me tea and the most fantastic chicken soup. We'd eat popsicles and watch The Wheel of Fortune and we'd take naps. In the afternoon I would always miraculously feel better. So much better that we would walk over to Widolff's to get a treat and we always ended up baking something. I was always sad when mom came to pick me up, because I knew she wouldn't let me be sick two days in a row!

Grandma Hornbach, as I've mentioned before, is one of the top three ladies I've ever known. I've been thinking a bout her a lot lately, and I'm sure it's because I wish she were here for the wedding. Grandma was the epitome of all Grandma's and taught me so many important things. Like how to roll out a pie crust and how to transfer it into the pie pan just so, she taught me how to use a Kitchen-Aid mixer without getting my hair or a fragile spatula sucked into the blade, she taught me how to do dishes correctly (you always wash the glasses first!), and how to properly clean the sink when you are done (with Comet). I like to wear dresses most days, and I'm sure the reason behind that is because I never saw Grandma in pants. But most importantly she taught me how to take care of people by her example. I feel like she'd do anything for anybody and she lived to take care of us. Maybe that's where I get my love of hospitality from.

There are times I think about Grandma and just cry, mainly because I wish she were here. But she will always be with me because some of the best memories I have from growing up include her. She was such a special lady with such a special family and she is definitely missed every single day.

No comments:

Post a Comment