Sunday, January 23, 2011

Dan's Home Office

Since Dan and I moved in together we've really gotten to know each other's habits, and I believe we are both honestly trying adjust our own habits to make life better for one another.

The past six months there are things that I've let slide. I now pick up Dan's clothes from the middle of the bedroom floor every night before I go to bed, because I know that if I don't, they could possibly stay piled up for weeks. And in the same six months he has decided that it's not worth asking me to take the cups of water sitting next to the bed downstairs everyday, because he knows that eventually, on Sundays, they will all get taken down to the kitchen.

But there is one thing that I just can't seem to let go, and that is having things laying around all the time... things not being in their "home". Currently Dan's golf clubs are in the guest bedroom even though I've told Dan over and over that they live in the garage. Mail is stacked on the kitchen table, and even though I make him go through it every single day and throw out the junk, the pile seems to still always be there. And at the end of the day, every day, I feel like I bring up at least six pairs of shoes from the front doorway. Dan knows it drives me crazy, and he genuinely apologizes when he seems me roll my eyes at the golf clubs in the guest room, and the stack on never ending mail on the kitchen table... So today, he was sure to warn me about the mess he had created before I got out of bed.

The past couple weekends Dan has been getting up early to work on his grad school work and his current job search. Fine with me, I really enjoy sleeping in the middle of the bed! This morning as I was waking up, he came in, asked me what we were having for breakfast, and looks at me and says... "Now Tracy, don't freak out, it's only going to be like this for the day, I promise."

I heard these words and I had no idea what to expect. So I got out of bed, brushed my teeth, and walked out into the living room to find... A Complete Home Office along with 60% of the products that are sold at Staples... and he hasn't left his little perch all day. He's been working hard, and as the day's progressed he has cleaned up quite a bit of the mess, but the printer is still there, churning out play books like crazy.

So I've spent my day cleaning around him and being his secretary, helping with his projects. And I've decided that I probably shouldn't freak out about this things that are out of place all the time, but I do appreciate the little warnings. I think it makes life a little more pleasant for both of us.


2 comments:

  1. Mmmm, yes. How long have Bob and I been married? Eight years. I've learned to pick my battles. But you're right: things have homes, and I'm happier when they're tucked neatly away.
    Good luck, and if you ever get him "fully trained," write a book. I'd happily buy a copy for myself and every other woman I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tracy, I too love when things are in their home but I will warn you - with 4 kids - I am lucky to have a clean floor! You are learning right to pick your battles and way to help out!

    I again with Liz though and I would definitely buy the book!

    ReplyDelete