Saturday, February 19, 2011

My Favorite Bottle of Wine

They say everybody has a least five friends. The one you played with in the sandbox, the one you met on the first day of school, the one who sometimes picks up the tab, and the one who knows how to get anything at a discount. And then there’s the one you think about when you’re having a good glass of wine...



It was almost two years ago and I was pushing my red cart around Target. I'm sure I was there for nothing in particular, but I probably had a cart full of treasures. I stumbled upon this bottle of wine, and right then and there "The Five Friends" were born. It happened to be Jesika's birthday that we were celebrating that weekend, so it made for the most perfect gift. I think to this day she hasn't opened it, it just sits as a fantastic reminder of us... The Five Friends.

Now the story above is actually what is on the back of the wine label, so I'll share our own.

They say everybody has at least five friends. For me, that's all I really need. I have the one that I've grown up with. Up until the time we left our apartment in West Lafayette, the furthest we lived apart was a mile (a quarter of that being her driveway) and the closest we lived was when we shared a 12 foot by 8 foot dorm room... now that was close quarters. I never would have thought that when we packed up my car and hugged goodbye in June I'd miss having her around this much. And it's the silliest things we miss about being around each other, like playing dress up or watching the TV guide channel together.

I have the friend that I can call and just spill my guts to, and my favorite part is that she can do the same... and we understand each other. We had one of these "I understand" conversations today. I loved hearing her ramble on and on about the silliest things but I knew how she felt and I think everybody else in the world would have thought we were crazy for having the conversation that we were having. As opposite as we originally thought we were, we are the same person, we honestly think we were separated at birth because our brains work the same way and she brings out some of the best in me.

I have the friend who I don't get to see or talk to as much as I would like, but I know that if I ever needed anything she would be here in a split second. She's the one that after weeks or months of not seeing or talking to her we can pick up right where we left off. While we talked last weekend we just laughed about our ridiculously funny lives and how we are growing up. But if you were listening to this conversation you would have thought that we were back in high school, chatting and gossiping at my parent's house getting ready for a Friday night football game. I honestly don't think this will ever change between us.

I have the friend who I can always count on to lift my spirits by having a serious conversation or by being the one to take a shot of Jagermeister with me. She's the silliest, most loving person I've ever met. She has a bigger heart than all of us combined and she's our glue to our hometown. If you ever need to know anything you go to her. She knows, and she'll always have the most fantastic story to go along with... and it will take her at least 25 minutes to tell it to you. I'd give anything to listen to one of her stories right now.

So girls, here's to you, and here's to us as a whole. I couldn't ask for a better group to be a part of and I'm thrilled that you are my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment